Breaking News: No injuries reported in SPI house fire, family pet killed
By JOE R. BOWLING, JR.
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND – The middle of a beautiful Saturday afternoon was disrupted on South Padre Island as a second story fire swept through a residential home, believed to be owned by local real estate business owner Mickey Furcron.
Firefighters from South Padre Island, Port Isabel and Laguna Vista were called to control and extinguish the blaze, which according to early indications may have been caused as a result of a rare use of a fireplace.
Tim Howell, speaking for the SPI Fire Department said that the call came in around 2:45 p.m. Saturday afternoon that a home was on fire on 5903 Tropical Drive. The department responded immediately and within a short time firefighters were on hand.
“The home was engulfed in flames,” said Howell. “By the time we arrived it (fire) was mainly in the second story, but we had concerns of it spreading.”
No one was home at the time of the fire thus no injuries were reported. It has been confirmed, however, that the family dog was inside and was killed. It remains unclear if the pet was consumed by flames or died from smoke inhalation. A neighbor’s house was also of concern regarding the spread of fire damage.
“With the fire being on the left side of the house,” said Howell, “and the wind blowing in that direction we had to do all we could to keep it from spreading to a home next door. We think that there was some slight damage that occurred but the departments did a great job of containing the blaze.”
By 4:45 p.m. the fire had been extinguished and the business of cleanup had begun. It is a rare occurrence that a fire hits a home on the Island, but it was reported that the response by local fire departments was prompt.
“This is the first fire to hit a residence in a long time,” said Howell, “We had one about a year ago but that was in an abandoned building. It’s unfortunate though that it happened at all.”
For the full story, pick up a copy of the Feb. 14 edition of the Port Isabel-South Padre PRESS. View our gallery of today’s fire here.