By ALLEY COWGILL
Port Isabel-South Padre Press
Clayton’s Beach Bar and Grill sold over half a million dollars worth of alcohol in just April and May alone. That number puts Clayton’s at number one in alcohol sales out of 408 establishments in the Rio Grande Valley for two consecutive months.
Island local, Brian Rudnick was not surprised Clayton’s is ranked number one, “Clayton’s is the embodiment of South Padre Island, awesome people, cold drinks, and it’s right on the beach,” he said.
Owner Clayton Brashear divulges the secret to his success stating, “We provide free beach access, we have great bartenders and staff, good food, live music, and we enhance the beach experience.” Brashear’s passion is his work, he adds, “ I have worked on the Island my whole career and I see the importance of our local Valley tourist and cater to the young and old. I love the people here and believe the Rio Grande Valley is the best place in the country to live and raise [a] family.”
The Quarterdeck joins the party at number 8, trumping several other hot spots in the Valley and raking in just under a quarter of a million dollars for the combined months of April and May.
Quarterdeck’s General Manager, Daniel Salazar describes the Quarterdeck as the “Island’s Entertainment Headquarters.” Salazar believes that providing live entertainment is one of the main contributing factors to the success of the Quarterdeck. He further goes on to explain, “We bring in bands from across the nation, from New York to Las Vegas. We have live entertainment every night of the year.” Salazar states that being consistent is important, “where guests know they can always come, have some cocktails, listen to a live band and dance the night away!”
Louie’s Backyard, Tequila Sunset, Wanna Wanna Beach Bar and Grill, and Laguna Bob also make the top 15 list. To see the full list, visit us online at www.portisabelsouthpadre.com.
Top 15 by Alcohol Sales in the Rio Grande Valley for April and May
- Clayton’s Beach Bar and Grill on South Padre Island: $643,090
- Louie’s Backyard on South Padre Island: $467,517
- The Bar in Brownsville: $341,603
- Pappadeaux in Pharr: $339,935
- Tequila Sunset on South Padre Island: $284,498
- Fast Eddie’s Neighborhood Billiards in McAllen: $272,868
- Wanna Wanna Beach Bar and Grill on South Padre Island: $242,845
- The Quarterdeck on South Padre Island: $231,441
- London Grill and Tavern in McAllen: $220,632
- Stiletto’s Gentlemen’s Club Cabaret in Pharr: $217,489
- The Point in Harlingen: $203,377
- Laguna Bob on South Padre Island: $203,010
- Cigar Bar in McAllen: $201,959
- Santa Fe Steakhouse in McAllen: $191,266
- Easy Eights in McAllen: $180,200
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.