Just as the Port Isabel family got together to put up a Christmas tree and decorate a section of their house with the traditional ornaments people set up this time of year, Fidel Calvillo noticed something that wasn’t right.
He saw small flames coming out of the storage room where they keep the tree and ornaments.
“I grabbed a hose and started spraying water,” he said as the house he and his wife Mavelia have been living in for a number of years along Illinois Street started to burn. “But the fire spread out so quickly and the flames reached the house.”
For more on this story, pick up a copy of the Dec. 2 edition of the Port Isabel South Padre Press.