By SCARLET O’ROURKE
Port Isabel is spooking up the streets for the month of October to capture the spirit of the season.
A number of events and activities have been planned to entertain citizens and tourists alike.
• Oct. 8: There will be a street fair featured all day as well as a ghost tour of sites recently deemed haunted by a troop of ghost hunters who came to examine various sights in the city. The tour will begin at 8 p.m. at the front of the Champion Building on Railroad Ave.*
• Oct. 15: From 9 a.m. – 4 pm Market Day will be held at the historic lighthouse.** There will also be a Halloween Store Front Decorating Contest.* The winner will be announced at 1 p.m. at Market Day. The Pretty in Pink Zumbathon benefiting the Susan B. Komen Foundation will take place at the Port Isabel Junior High School from 10 a.m. – noon.****** The Ghost Tour will commence at 8 p.m.*
• Oct. 20: There will be a coloring contest for children at the Port Isabel Public Library from 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. There will also be poetry readings at the library from 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. ****
• October 22: There will be a time of “Telling our Ghost Stories” at the Lighthouse at 6:30 p.m.** The Ghost Tour will commence at 8 p.m.*
• Oct. 24: The Judging of a pumpkin decorating contest for children will take place at Beulah Lee Park Gazebo at 6 p.m.***
• Oct. 26: The Port Isabel Public Library will host psychic readings at 5:30 p.m. for entertainment only.****
• Oct. 27: The Port Isabel Tarpons Homecoming Parade will begin at 5:30 p.m. followed by a bonfire at the high school to pump up school spirit.
• Oct. 28: The Lighthouse Cinema will feature the movie “Rango” at 8 p.m. at the Lighthouse.** The Port Isabel Tarpons Homecoming game will be in Progreso against the Red Ants at 7:30 p.m.
• Oct. 29: The Museums of Port Isabel will host Dia de los Muertos – Day of the Dead – from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. There will also be a Halloween Street Dance in association with the Champion Building at 7 p.m.** The Ghost Tour will commence at 8 p.m.*
• Oct. 31: There will be “Trick or Treat Stops” for kids along Historical Downtown Port Isabel happening all day.*
• Nov. 5: There will be an Art Walk showcasing work by artists around the county from 3 p.m. – 7p.m. at Lighthouse Square.*
• Nov. 6: The annual Shrimp Cook-Off is slated to run from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.*****
*Contact the Merchants Committee at (956) 943-8080
**Contact the Museums of Port Isabel (956) 943-7602
***Contact the City of Port Isabel (956) 943-2682
****Contact the Port Isabel Public Library (956) 943-1822
*****Contact the Port Isabel Chamber of Commerce (943) 943-2262
******Olympian Fitness (956) 346-2849