By MICHAEL RODRIGUEZ
South Padre Parade
Scheduled for Friday, Dec. 16, the parade has been rescheduled for Monday, Dec. 19 at 6 p.m. It is the second time the holiday procession has been postponed, both occurrences as a result of inclement weather.
The parade was originally set for Dec. 10 but was pushed back due to a 60 percent chance of showers that had been forecast then. The new date, Dec. 16, also posed problems with a 70 percent chance of rain forecast that day.
“With everything, whatever event it is especially outdoor events, we’re always at the mercy of the weather,” said San Benito Chamber of Commerce President Zeke Padilla. “We just appreciate everyone’s patience. I appreciate the community responding well and adjusting.”
According to Padilla, the community should continue to expect what regular attendees have come to regard as the Valley’s biggest lighted parade. Specifically, Padilla said over 100 entries will be marching down Sam Houston Boulevard come Monday as more participants registered thanks to the extra time the postponements created.
In fact, city officials recently referred to the participation this year as having “record entries.”
This year’s theme is the city’s centennial of incorporation, of which the parade’s grand marshals represent such storied history.
Representing the city’s landmark establishments, longtime San Benito businesspersons Salome Martinez, Rick Ornelas, Sam Boswell, Dick Welch, and Betty Cashin will lead the march.
For more information, call the Chamber at (956) 399-5321.