By CRAIG ALANIZ
The proposed retaining wall for tracts north of the South Padre Island city limits will go before the Cameron County Commissioners’ Court on Thursday, February 14.
The item was tabled at the last meeting due to wording on the agenda.
As previously reported by the Press, the proposal has recently drawn the ire of the Surfrider Foundation South Texas Chapter. Rob Nixon, Chairman of Surfrider South Texas, said his organization fears the construction of the wall may lead to less beach access.
The foundation submitted a letter to Cameron County Judge Carlos Cascos and the Cameron County Commissioners’ Court asking that the proposal be denied.
Contractor Herb Houston, however, believes that building and developing the tracts will provide better access than the current facilities offered.
Houston said he would like for property owners north of the city limits to enjoy the same rights as property owners south of city limits and within the city. He said the wall is going to be funded by the property owners who will not build on the 200 feet of public beach area in front of their tracts.
Houston said retaining walls are built throughout the Island but the Texas General Land Office is currently preventing owners from developing their land. He said owners have taken steps to develop their land, such as providing utilities to the area that was paid out of pocket.
“Owners north of the city limits should be subjected to the same rules as everyone,” Houston said.
The tracts that will have a retaining wall are 7 through 10. Houston said they are located four miles north of city limits and two miles north of the proposed second causeway landing.
“Owners should be able to build what they want as long as they follow the same state-wide guidelines provided by the GLO,” Houston said.
Read this story in the Feb. 7 edition of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.