Special to the PRESS
LV Residents and Friends,
This is to provide you a brief update on upcoming community events and to share information that may be of interest to you.
We are preparing for the upcoming 4th of July celebration. We hope you mark your calendar and join us at this event. We are looking for food vendors. Please let us know if you are interested in volunteering or if you are interested in getting your community, school or church club to participate in this event.
We are very proud of our police and fire departments. Last week, they helped to rescue five kayakers. Chief David attend a week-long training. Officers Guerrero and Lerma will be recognized by MADD later this week. A couple of weeks ago and this past Saturday, our volunteer fire fighters had a “fill the bucket” fundraiser to raise funds so our volunteer fire fighters can obtain additional training and equipment. As a result of these fundraising efforts, one will be sent to vehicle extrication training, and two volunteer fire fighters to EMT training.
We presently have vacancies on the Town advisory boards. Below is the list of these boards. If you are interested in being considered, please apply.
On behalf of the Town Council and the Staff, we truly appreciate your interest in YOUR community.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I can be contacted at 943-1793 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Serving you, I remain
4th of July Independence Day celebration
Town Staff is busy working on the upcoming 4th of July Independence Day celebration:
- The event will be onSaturday, July 4 from 5 to 9pm.
- The Independence Day parade will start at 4:30pm. We are encouraging the public to participate in this parade. Decorate their golf carts, vehicles, boat/trailers, bikes, etc. with red, white and blue. Dress up also in these patriotic colors.
- Following this parade, we will be having a celebration at Roloff Park from 5 to 9pm.
- Hector Guzman and the Allnighters will be performing.
- We are encouraging food and craft vendors to set up a booth. They can call us at 943-1793 for more information.
- We will be having children activities.
- Volunteer Fire Fighters will have a booth and “fill the bucket”
We are encouraging the Laguna Vista residents to attend this event. We are also inviting people that don’t live in Laguna Vista to attend this celebration and to see first-hand how beautiful, indeed, the community is.
Mayor Pro Tem
At the June 9 meeting, the Town Council appointed Council Member Wanda Reyes-Rice to serve as the Mayor Pro Tem.
Police Chief – Bill Blackwood Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas
Police Chief Tony David graduated this past week from the Bill Blackwood Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas at the Sam Houston State University Criminal Justice Center. Congratulations, Chief David.
MADD To Recognize LV Officers
On June 19 at the TxDOT office in Pharr, Laguna Vista Officers George Guerrero and Frank Lerma will be recognized by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) for their DWI enforcement and prosecution.
Congratulation Officers Guerrero and Lerma.
Town FaceBook pages
In an effort to keep abreast of social media, the Town has set up various FaceBook pages.
- Laguna Vista Volunteer Fire Department
- Laguna Vista Police Department
- Town of Laguna Vista, Texas
- Laguna Vista Public Library
We urge you to like these pages to keep updated on information that may be of interest to you. We will be posting information at all hours.
The number in parenthesis represents the number of vacancies in that specific advisory board. If you are interested in being considered for any of these advisory boards, please call the Town of Laguna Vista at 943-1793 and request a copy of the Town application and/or to submit your letter of interest. Thank you for your interest.
Upcoming Community Events and Meetings
- Saturday, July 4 from 5 to 9 p.m. Independence Day Parade and Celebration
Town of Laguna Vista
122 Fernandez Street
Laguna Vista, Texas 78578
Phone: (956) 943-1793
Fax: (956) 943-3111
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.