Los Fresnos Area Chamber of Commerce Strongly Supports LNG
As a collective group of caring Los Fresnos Area business and progressive leaders, we want to express our support for the development of the Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) terminals at the Port of Brownsville. It is clear that these developments will have a major economic impact for Los Fresnos and other communities in the Rio Grande Valley.
We have taken time to learn what LNG is and what it isn’t.
- LNG is colorless, odorless, non-flammable, non-toxic, non-explosive and non-corrosive
- LNG doesn’t mix with water and it evaporates when exposed to air so it cannot pollute our water
- LNG has been safely and securely shipped for over 50 years all over the world and has the best safety record of all common fossil fuels types
- LNG is not an oil refinery that could create concern in our community
- The Rio Grande LNG project will have an enormous economic impact by investing billions for construction and other activities including purchasing goods and services from many local companies and vendors.
- The project will have a profound effect throughout Cameron County by boosting our entire economy. Additionally, the 4,000 to 6,000 construction jobs and 200 plus permanent jobs that will be created will increase our economy further with workers spending their income in Los Fresnos Area stores, restaurants and businesses and throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
We have endeavored to learn the backgrounds of the professionals who manage the Rio Grande LNG project and have confidence in their expertise and experience in developing other safe LNG projects throughout the world.
We care greatly about our Laguna Madre area and would not support any project that would harm, compromise, or endanger our families, residents, or environment. We welcome the opportunity to have the LNG projects at the Port of Brownsville.
Los Fresnos Chamber of Commerce
203 North Arroyo Boulevard
Los Fresnos, TX 78566
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.