By DINA ARÉVALO
Port Isabel-South Padre Press
Update, 5 p.m.:
The City of South Padre Island has just released a statement saying two women are now in custody in connection with the hit-and-run accident which injured five people early this morning.
Acting on a tip from a member of the community, police located a dark Honda CR-V on South Padre Island. “We feel confident that this is the vehicle involved in the accident,” said Chief Randy Smith in the statement. “However, the investigation is still ongoing.”
Police say a 20-year-old woman from Sugarland is the primary suspect in the incident.
The investigation continues.
Original, 2:18 p.m.:
South Padre Island police have arrested a woman in connection with a hit-and-run that injured five people last night.
During a phone interview Friday afternoon, Chief of Police Randy Smith confirmed that investigators are currently speaking with the woman, who is reportedly in her early 20s, but declined to provide additional details pending the ongoing investigation.
According to a statement obtained by the PRESS, officers responded to the 4200 block of Padre Boulevard just before 1 a.m. Friday after dispatchers received a call about an auto pedestrian accident. Emergency responders arrived to find three people “in the roadway with what appeared to be serious injuries and two others on the side of the roadway with minor injuries,” the statement reads.
“The vehicle had fled the scene before officers arrived,” the statement reads.
The victims were transported to area hospitals. Based on information obtained from witnesses, police began searching for a black or dark colored Honda SUV.
In other news, police also responded to a report of a large disturbance on the 5900 block of Padre Boulevard at approximately 7:30 p.m. yesterday. Smith reports first responders arrived on scene to find a Hispanic male, 32-years-old, who had been stabbed five times.
The man had stab wounds on his back, side and chest, Smith said. The unnamed man initially tried to refuse medical treatment but was eventually transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, the chief said. “He did say he was not talking to the police,” Smith said.
The investigation is still ongoing.
The PRESS will update these stories as more information becomes available.
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.