House fire leaves two families homeless

Special to the PRESS

At approximately 4:30 a.m. Easter morning, a house located at 128 East Saturn Street on South Padre Island caught fire, forcing the inhabitants to flee as the home burned.

Tina and Jack Rowlett, the owners of the house, shaken and in shock, stood staring at the burned remains of their house, which EMS responders are calling a total loss. The home burned so quickly that all the owners had left were the clothes they were wearing when the incident occurred, the victims said.

With her voice trembling, Tina described how the fire began. “My daughter woke me up saying she smelled smoke and that something was burning. We managed to get ourselves and our the dogs out and thank God no one was hurt, but we were trapped in the backyard and the fireman had to break through to get us out. I have a lock box with some valuables inside, hopefully that survived, but everything we had is gone.”

Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.

Permanent link to this article:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.