Developers turn out for 2nd Causeway meeting
By DINA ARÉVALO
Port Isabel-South Padre Press
Approximately 175 developers, local officials and members of the public descended on South Padre Island for an industry review meeting hosted by the Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority (CCRMA) to hear updates on the Second Causeway Project.
The project, which would connect South Padre Island to the mainland north of Beach Access 5, has been in the works for years. Though it seemed to some that progress was slow, in recent months, the CCRMA has made significant advances on the project, stepping closer to environmental approval from the federal government. Also, in December of last year, Cameron County approved a county-wide Transportation Reinvestment Zone that would pump $1 billion into the County’s infrastructure needs, one of which will be the Second Causeway.
Tuesday’s meeting was held to gauge industry interest in such a large development project, and by all accounts, it was a rousing success. “It definitely exceeded our expectations,” said County Judge Pete Sepulveda afterwards. Sepulveda announced he would not seek election to the judge’s seat again in order to focus more on his work with the CCRMA.
“That shows us that there’s a lot of interest. We look forward to the next step, which is having one on one private meetings with private developers where we can exchange a lot more detailed information,” Sepulveda said.
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.