By DINA ARÉVALO
Port Isabel-South Padre Press
Update 3:26 p.m.:
Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio has confirmed that the body of a missing 14-year-old boy has been found after a search that stretched overnight and was temporarily halted due to bad weather. “The body was found a little after (2) o’clock by Texas Parks and Wildlife,” Lucio said. The body was “not too far from the area where the boys were,” he said.
“Judge Juan Mendoza pronounced him dead,” he added.
It’s been reported that the boy was Nahum Barragan Castañeda. Lucio said Castañeda’s family has been notified.
Castañeda went missing Thursday evening after the watercraft he and two friends were in overturned. Authorities received a call for help at approximately 7:30 p.m., according to reports. The Port Isabel and South Padre Island police departments, along with the Cameron County Constable’s Office, Cameron County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Border Patrol and the U.S. Coast Guard all assisted in the search.
“They have not found the body.”
-Sheriff Omar Lucio
Due to bad weather, officials have paused the search for a 13-year-old boy who went missing in the Laguna Madre Thursday, said Sheriff Omar Lucio Friday. “Everything is at a standstill because of the weather,” Lucio said.
The boy went missing after the boat he and two friends were in overturned. Two of the boys were found safe and returned to shore. “The other two got held by a citizen,” said Cameron County Pct. 1 Constable Pete Delgadillo, who added that the incident happened approximately three miles north of Michigan Park in Laguna Heights.
“We were out there,” Lucio said. “We were asked to assist. We called the Border Patrol because they have a helicopter,” he said, adding that other agencies were also asked to help in the search, including Texas Parks and Wildlife and the U.S. Coast Guard. The Port Isabel and South Padre Island police departments have also been assisting in the search.
Addressing rumors flying back and forth on social media that the boy’s body had been found, Lucio said, “As of right now they have not found the body yet.” He said the search will resume as soon as the stormy weather passes.
“We’re still waiting,” Delgadillo added. “We’ll be out there looking for the 13-year-old,” he said.
Editor’s Note: The PRESS will continue to update this story as more information becomes available. Check back here for the latest on the search.
Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.